Wednesday, March 5, 2014

School Debate: Boys and Girls in Schools

Can separating boys and girls improve their performance at school? Or do boys and girls need to be together to learn to get along? There is no right answer. But many people have strong opinions about the topic. Some people believe that single-gender schools are the best bet. Others believe that coed schools give kids a stronger start.
Single-gender education is on the rise. In the mid-1990s, there were only two single-gender public schools in the nation. Today, more than 500 public schools in 40 states have only boy students, only girl students or some classes that are single-gender.
The authors of a new report in Science magazine reviewed existing research about single-gender schools. Their report argues against this type of education. They say it reduces boys’ and girls’ opportunities to work together, and reinforces gender stereotypes. A stereotype is an inaccurate oversimplified image of a group.
“Boys who spend more time with other boys become increasingly aggressive,” the article says. “Similarly, girls who spend more time with other girls become more gender-typed.” The authors also argue that there is no scientific evidence that single-gender schooling leads to better academic outcomes.
What do you think? We want to hear your opinion.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that boys and girls should be in the same schools.



-Thomas

Anonymous said...

I think that boy's and girl's should be in the same class as each other because children need to learn how to get along with each other.

from. A.J.M

Anonymous said...

I think the boys get aggressive around other boys is fake because I am a boy and I hang out with other boys and I don't get aggressive.

-Ethan

Anonymous said...

I do not think that all of the same gender should be in the same school it would be vary loud so I think that all girls and boys should be in the same school.-Aidan

Anonymous said...

I think, that they should allow the same gender in the same school because some boys might have friends that are girls and girls might have friends that are boys.

-Isaac Gonzales

Anonymous said...

I think that schools should have mixed genders.I'am a fourth grade student and i go to a mixed gender school and many of my peers are friends with the oppisite gender,if students of differnt genders are not in the same school those friendships will not be made. Another reason that schools should have differnt genders is that students get more of a confident start of there education experians
! And thats why i think schools should have differnt genders.
-callia

Anonymous said...

I think they should not have two genders together (except for high school) because I know some kids get in "relationships" and sometimes parents don't like that -Camden

Anonymous said...

I think that they should collide becauuse they have more fun.

from piper

Anonymous said...

I agree with Callia and A.J because girls need to learn to be around boys, and boys need to learn to be around girls. Also because it also would be pretty loud with girls talking with all the other girls. They also won't learn like the real world where you have to work with other genders and sharing stuff and suplice with each other. Does any one agree with me?:)
-Karsen

Anonymous said...

I agree with callia. both genders should be it the same school. It just it the right thing.

-Addie

Anonymous said...

I think that both boys and girls should be in most schools because if the school board disagrees, that means they are discriminative. I think so, do agree?

-Aidan Z.

Anonymous said...

I agree with callia because she is my friend and I wouldn't have many of my friends if it was only girls and only boys.
-Alex

Anonymous said...

I agree with Callia because boys and girls should be in the same school so boys can get used to girls and girls can get used to boys.

-Cortlyn

Anonymous said...

I agree with Isaac







By Andrew

Anonymous said...

I agree with Thomas I think girls and boys should be in the same school. I think it is more like the real world because you won't always only be around girls or boys

Anonymous said...

I agree with Callia, AJ, Karsen, and Alex because I have just as many friends that are girls as that are boys. Also, I understand that if schools are only one gender then the genders might start to have quarrels with each other, most of the time around middle school/junior high.

-Christopher EAB